Have you or someone you know been arrested or charged with a crime? Are you being questioned by the police? You need to seek out the assistance of an experienced criminal defense lawyer right away. However, you may not know what to look for in a criminal defense attorney. Whether you’re concerned about asking the right questions or evaluating the attorney’s expertise and experience, here’s how to find a good criminal defense lawyer.
Learn Their Expertise
Criminal defense lawyers handle a wide variety of cases, including misdemeanors and felony charges, and it’s best to know each one’s expertise prior to hiring him or her for your specific case. For example, if you’re charged with a DUI, you’ll want to know the criminal defense attorney’s experience defending DUI cases at trial. No matter what you’re being questioned for or charged with, ask the attorney questions, such as:
- What is your experience handling cases like mine?
- How much will you be involved with my specific criminal case?
- What’s the frequency at which you seek plea agreements or ask for lesser charges?
- What are your attorney’s fees, how are they calculated and do you offer a payment plan?
Get To Know Them
When choosing a criminal defense layer, you want to pick someone you feel comfortable around. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Does the attorney seem personable and genuine?
- Does the attorney work in a large firm or a local practice?
- Do I feel comfortable confiding in the lawyer?
- Does the attorney seem concerned with my overall wellbeing?
- Am I able to ask questions and receive comprehensible answers?
From DUIs to drug crimes to juvenile cases, the Law Offices of Matthew Kelly Associates can help you challenge the prosecution’s case and overcome your legal troubles. For a free, 100% confidential initial consultation, contact us today.